[BITList] Fwd: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Mon Feb 2 09:34:51 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

From: enquiries at lloydslist.com
Date: 2 February 2009 08:05:46 GMT
To: mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Subject: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

The below article was sent to you from Mike Feltham (mj.feltham at madasafish.com
) with the following message: I thought you might be interested in the
article below.

Coming in from the cold
Monday 2 February 2009

THERE was once a famous (or perhaps notorious) British shipowner, a
peer of terrifying demeanour, who was said to have been presented by
the company’s naval architect with the plans for a new-look cargo
liner that was designed to his specification to obliterate all the
competition.

Lord X looked closely at the plans, called for a pen and, with a
number of savage strokes, removed a whole deck of spacious crew
accommodation, putting the several cabins instead into the space the
designers had provided for a recreation room.

“Recreation room?” this intimidating man was supposed to have roared.
“They are not paid to be having recreation — they are supposed to be
on deck working!”

This old chap, who lived on the Isle of Wight and was supposed to have
examined minutely the paintwork of his ships through a powerful
telescope and telephoned through to London to sack the chief officer
if it was not to his liking, is long dead. But I have no idea whether
this story about his attention to detail is true, although it would
seem to correlate with his reputation.

But dare I suggest that there is a little bit of his robust attitude
remaining, as what might be considered the “softer” side of ship
design is evaluated by the people who pay for what goes into a ship.

There is a sort of meanness out there in the real world, where nobody
wants to pay a dollar more than is necessary to obtain a ship that is
fit for purpose. I have, on numerous occasions, alluded to the
reluctance to consider the living spaces of the crew as anything more
than a grim necessity, that must somehow be fitted in to that part of
the ship that is not occupied by cargo or engines.

I have looked at some of the new designs for containerships and,
really, it is difficult to determine where the deck stack of
containers stops and the accommodation begins. The only way you can
tell is that the accommodation doesn’t have corner posts, so there is
not too much risk that a careless crane driver might whisk it up in
the air.

But let us not get diverted down the design road this week, but
consider instead the ways in which the social isolation of seafarers
might be mitigated. Now, if you were of a certain age, brought up in a
regime only marginally more liberal than that practised by the late
Lord X above, you might suggest that a certain amount of social
isolation is unavoidable if you make a living at sea.

But that was then and this is now, and in an age of mass connectivity,
we have to do a whole lot better if we are to persuade young people to
go to sea and retain them for a worthwhile period.

Credit crunch or not, the manpower problem will not suddenly
evaporate, and it is encouraging that the more perceptive are looking
more closely at those elements that deter people from seafaring. The
International Maritime Organization’s ‘Go to Sea’ campaign seems to
have attracted the attention of industry organisations, and there is a
lot more than lip service being paid to this important issue.

People are thinking hard about how this social isolation might be
reduced, and racking their brains about how they can prove that
seafarers are valuable and respected for the essential job they are
doing. It’s not before time.

I was at an industry dinner, held by Headland Media, which among other
things provides entertainment and welfare services for ships’ crews.
People like me know of its Walport Entertainment On-Board service,
which for almost as long as I can recall has been providing the
excellent and much appreciated facility of film distribution for ships
and the offshore industry.

But we have come a long way since then, and it was clear from the talk
around the table that rather more is expected of a respectable
maritime employer than a Saturday night film show. There were
representatives from shipping companies, ship managers, the Royal
Navy, welfare organisations and shipping organisations, and it was
interesting to see the degree of unanimity about the problem.

Perhaps it was the general agreement about the growing skills
shortage, which is clearly not some temporary phenomenon and is only
going to be slightly ameliorated by the credit crunch, with its
attendant layups and cancellations. Perhaps it is an acknowledgement
that the solutions resorted to in earlier manpower panics just won’t
work any more. There are no hitherto hidden sources of cheap and
cheerful maritime manpower that will suddenly become available — not
unless we want to retrain Somalian pirates.

Crew welfare makes good commercial sense, and it is encouraging to
hear this being endorsed wholeheartedly by industry figures. There has
been a disturbing amount said and written about how we have failed to
respect seafarers, through criminalisation of their occasional
mistakes, unfair legislation and constraints on their shoregoing
through anti-terrorist legislation.

When this is added to an increasingly stressful, fun-free, existence
aboard ships that have been designed with the crew as an afterthought,
it is no wonder that some of these complaints are registering where it
matters.

I was talking with Douglas Stevenson of the Center for Seafarers’
Rights at the Seamen’s Church Institute of New York and New Jersey
about the way seafarers have paid such a heavy price after 9/11, in
the deterioration of so many of their freedoms that made life bearable
in previous years. If you were a hard-line security enthusiast, you
might point to the absence of any other attacks since that awful day
in 2001, and the fact that terrorists have so far abstained from using
ships, or with very few exceptions, attacking them.

But seafarers’ lives have been made considerably more miserable by all
this heavy-footed security, and we perhaps ought to be looking at
whether it really has been justified.

At the Headland evening I heard the word “respect” several times, and
the acknowledgement that for the first time ever, we are in a position
to do something about the isolation of the seafarer. There is amazing
and increasing connectivity, the internet and worldwide web and the
possibility of affordable and regular communications between ship and
shore.

Onboard facilities, it was said, “can make up for unfriendly design”
and this must be true too, although it would be better if clever
designers ratcheted up the welfare of the crew in the list of design
priorities.

It is unnecessary for crew members to be so isolated aboard ship,
unaware of what is going on in the world and having to be reintroduced
to society at the conclusion of a long voyage. Partly, it needs a
change of attitude, because the old ideas that deplored anything other
than a few words in a message between ship and shore are still
retained by some.

There are still some unthinking souls ashore, who will spend half
their days on the phone but will question the need for a crew member
to speak to his or her family at a reasonable frequency and cost. If
we have this facility, and if we can, using the agency of a company
such as Headland and Walport, provide affordable crew communications
and a news, sport and entertainment service, it is a strong message
about how a shipowner cares for its crew.

It is, of course, only half of the problem. Because, if we want to
address the loneliness that is almost an integral part of modern
seafaring, we have to look at life aboard ship in a more holistic
fashion.

Some years ago I recall somebody bewailing the “loneliness of the long
distance watchkeeper” aboard a ship operated by a very small crew. He
carried out his watch alone, mostly ate alone, and before turning in,
would watch a video — alone, in his cabin.

If we really are going to encourage young people to go to sea and keep
’em there for a reasonable time, we need to think about all these
elements. And we may not have a great deal of time left.

Sign up to the FREE Lloyd's List Daily News Bulletin at http://www.lloydslist.com/bulletin

Articles remain the copyright of Informa UK Limited

Please note that incorrectly addressed emails are returned to a
Lloyd's List bulletin board and that copies may be taken for
administrative purposes