[BITList] Serendipity

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 2 01:38:01 GMT 2009

Last night I was reading Richard Woodman's "Neptune's Trident" (Volume 1 of his "History of the British Merchant Navy"), a very interesting account. I had just read about the wreck of HMS "Victory". Admiral Balchen, on the Casquets in 1744. This morning I awoke to the news that her wreck has been found. According to the BBC the wreck is 50nm from her expected position, I look forward to an explanation. The context of the reference was the establishment of lighthouses and provision of charts.

This is an excellent book, although the author tends to use long or unusual words and I need to keep a dictionary handy. Does anyone know what the word "louche" means, its not in my dictionary. Used in the context of "a louche confederacy". could it mean "loose"?

Dave