[BITList] Chinese "quaking" in their boots...

CT's x50type at cox.net
Wed Dec 30 14:49:50 GMT 2009

robbo, hugh, frank

re; Akmal Shaikh,

some comments below on this from track back.

incidentally, when a citizen of country A is arrested in country B, goes to trial and is found guilty - there is often an outcry in country A that the trial was not fair / mitigating circumstances / prejudice / these people don't know what they are doing, etc.
[amanda knox [USA] comes to mind and baby & wife killer - neil entwistle [UK]]
there is an appeal by the government and even a diplomatic argument - "in the strongest terms" [as in this case].

as robo mentions -
Those tremors we had down here must have been the Chinese "quaking" in their boots...

LOL

the part that I found of interest/audacious was britain strongly condemning china in the strongest possible terms - I thought gordon brown had lost his tackle!

ct

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d834518d3769e20120a5e48ebd970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference more on Akmal Shaikh:

Comments
uunfortunately the Chinese government can not interfere with the courts

Posted by: James Mason | October 23, 2009 at 05:01 AM

I know Shaikh personally and I say that based on his arrogance- he had it coming!

Posted by: Jasavinda | December 22, 2009 at 04:33 PM

Akmal Shaikh deserves it. This man transported 4.0kg cocaines. The claim of psychological issues are coax.

Posted by: John Nash | December 23, 2009 at 05:02 AM

There always seems to be a claim of innocence or some other limp excuse whenever a British passport holder is convicted overseas. Like that psuedo Brit in Laos, he committed a crime so he should suffer the consequences. We would be a better country if we had a truly zero tolerance in Britain to anyone remotely connected with illegal drugs.

Posted by: Rufus | December 27, 2009 at 03:05 PM

Are you logging the IP addresses of these?

Posted by: Alex | December 27, 2009 at 03:44 PM

Yes: the US, Canada and Holland. This appears to be some sort of Hasbara type effort.

Posted by: jamie | December 27, 2009 at 04:57 PM

I like the phrase "innocence or some other limp excuse". Very Gilbert & Sullivan.

Posted by: ajay | December 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

As any Catholic can tell you, only guilt can make you hard.

Posted by: Cian | December 28, 2009 at 03:04 AM

Should Mr Shaikh's trial follow British laws or Chinese laws? Or follow any laws at all?

Does a mentally ill person, who has been capable of marrying, raising kids, operating a personal business, travelling around the world by himself, have the slightest idea that drug trafficking (4 kg!) is a grave crime in any countries (not sure about in UK)?

Posted by: Fair | December 28, 2009 at 02:24 PM

Another. BTW, if you're a real person, mental illness is no bar to operating a taxi in Kentish Town. Believe me...

Posted by: Alex | December 28, 2009 at 06:51 PM

No bar? I thought it was a prerequisite.

What is "Hasbara" incidentally?

Posted by: ajay | December 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Originally just Hebrew for "propaganda", but since the activities of GIYUS et al during the Lebanon War it seems to have taken on a new life to describe internet propaganda on behalf of a government but not commissioned or paid for by that government. Since we're in need of a word intermediate between "grassroots" and "astroturf" to describe these rather strange semi-organised fan club campaigns I'm almost prepared to admit it, although I have hitherto resisted out of a general dislike for dropping foreign words into one's conversation, plus the fact that it's specifically a Hebrew word means that it's going to be the devil's own job untangling the meaning from the soft-anti-Semitic connotations it's already acquired in the Israel nutter community.

Posted by: dsquared | December 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM