[BITList] Looking over the Shoulder of the Creator of "A Christmas Carol" - The New York Times

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 8 19:50:48 GMT 2009

Without trying, I can produce handwriting worse than Dickens'.  Also the stories, but I'm not in a minority of one in that respect.  I read A Christmas Carol every Christmas, so I didn't dip to deeply into the manuscript at this time. In the preface to my copy, Eleanor Farjeon writes, "Once started on its course, his Christmas Carol ran away with him.  He wept at it, and laughed, and wept again ; it so excited him that, in the small hours ' when all sober folks had gone to bed', he walked London's black streets for fifteen and twenty miles, possessed by it."