[BITList] Fwd: [vsdh] FW: The Definitions of UP

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 19 14:48:23 BST 2009

In nearly all those examples the word 'up' is superfluous, I blame the Yanks. My really pet hate is "head up" and now, more lately, 'heads up'. In fact if I thought a bit harder it is probably that in all the phrases given the word is superfluous, but its late, it been raining for 10 days (wonderful) and I am going to bed and shall wake (or awaken if you like) tomorrow, refreshed.

I would love to start a campaign to ban the word except as in the definition as in 'towards the sky'.

I have a similar feeling for the word 'got', let alone the terrible word 'gotten'. At school my English teacher often said that we should dig a hole and bury all of our 'gots'.

Dave