[BITList] 36 Hours in Glasgow - NYTimes.com

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 2 08:24:49 BST 2009

Mile,

Mrs McIntyre's idea of Glasgow is Marks & Spencer - Watt Bros - Matalan - etc.  We were in the city yesterday (4th day in a row for her), and at Buchanan Bus Station we heard an example of the local patois at its best.  Two clearly foreign ladies, looking lost, were spotted by one of the staff in a Dayglo jacket.  Thinking to aid them, over he went - "Hello, hen, whaur ye gaun, eh?"  A little more impenetrable then the Geordie we met in Fort William a few weeks back.  I understood him, it being my job to do so, not his to make it easy for me.  But it took me a minute to tune in, not having heard a real Geordie for many years.  No doubt he had the same problem with me.

Given the problems Edinburgh is having with the refuse collectors' strike, and the chaos imposed by the tramway scheme, it's "no contest" between the Athens of the North and Glasgow.

Hugh.

PS: Garda jackets? Shum mishtake surely.