[BITList] no mini

CT's x50type at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 02:47:16 BST 2009

yo mike

mac mini was very good - I liked it a lot; it started up and initiated fine - it was also silent. the wireless keyboard was particularly nice - as was the wireless mouse. they also have a very clever wireless back up system (which I didn't need).

the ordering process on line and the local apple shop was good. I liked the way one can make an appointment at the local store for repair, tech info or to buy something. actually it is a necessity, the shop is particularly busy at the weekend, it would be mayhem without an appointment system.  their refund system was quick and efficient (20% restocking fee), however I could not find a link on line to return the mac mini - I had to telephone!

so why did I return everything?

I was integrating it into my LAN which consists of two computers, 2 monitors one wireless network and one printer. I took out one computer and put the mac mini in its place. all worked well together, I even down loaded windows vista onto the mac mini without difficulty and could use apple's dos or vista as well as windows xp on the other computer.

the problem was that the mac mini would not print to the lan printer. there are many printer drivers already in the apples dos - mine common printer wasn't one of them. I downloaded the proper driver from hp for the mac - but the mac would not recognise it. I called apple tech, they had nothing new which I hadn't already tried - they also said they did not support hp.........................this I found odd as hp is just about the commonest printer around, additionally apple does not make a printer and there is no printer, as far I know, that is dedicated exclusively to apple. apple suggested I call hp.............................a phone call to hp will cost money but they have a free online email support system. this worked well - their techy suggesting I download their driver for the mac mini - duh................................brilliant.

so to cut the story - as I could not get the printer working via the mac mini and apple didn't have the solution, I returned it all for a refund.

in conclusion I found the apple system system elegant, efficient and pretty...............................but as far as I am concerned, not worth the premium over the competition. their monitors and bigger computers are way too expensive.

I understand in certain professional applications where cost is not a deciding factor, the apple is the system of choice.

colin t