[BITList] John Bull

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 24 11:43:06 BST 2009

Fascinating article, and very apt, given the current tendency for sundry of
the media in England to get their knickers in a twist over St George's Day
and a perceived lack of observance thereof.  St George was about as English
as St Andrew was Scottish or St Patrick was Irish (he may well have been
born in the Clyde area here).  St David sounds Welsh.  Warren Mitchell, who
played the racist, homophobic bigot Alf Garnett on TV some years back, was
asked by one of the above if he was proud to be English.  I liked his
answer.  "How can I be proud of an accident of birth?" he said.  End of
questions.