[BITList] JFK Docking in Malta

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:52:49 BST 2009

G'day folks,

And I can recall flying from Cyprus back to the UK in a four engined
propellor driven aircraft. The Maltese Government had fallen out with
the UK Govt and wouldn't allow us to land to refuel.

We had to land at an RAF base in North Africa (Idris from memory).

We flew on from North Africa after a refuelling stop and just as we
made landfall over the French Riviera we lost an engine.

Immediately in front of us was the French Airforce base of Istre. We
landed there just in time for a late lunch. Stopped the night and
waited until another RAF aircraft arrived with a replacement engine in
the morning.

The two engine fitters on board were told off to carry out the engine
change whilst we flew back to the UK on the one that had brought the
engine. The two engine lads were not too happy.

Can you see all the girls waving?

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.