[BITList] Computers vs Brains

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 02:20:16 BST 2009

Guest Column: Computers vs. Brains

Update | Sam Wang responds to readers’ comments here.
By Sandra Aamodt and Sam Wang

Inventor Ray Kurzweil, in his 2005 futurist manifesto “The Singularity
Is Near,” extrapolates current trends in computer technology to
conclude that machines will be able to out-think people within a few
decades. In his eagerness to salute our robotic overlords, he neglects
some key differences between brains and computers that make his
prediction unlikely to come true.

Brains have long been compared to the most advanced existing
technology — including, at one point, telephone switchboards. Today
people talk about brains as if they were a sort of biological
computer, with pink mushy “hardware” and “software” generated by life
experiences.

However, any comparison with computers misses a messy truth. Because
the brain arose through natural selection, it contains layers of
systems that arose for one function and then were adopted for another,
even though they don’t work perfectly. An engineer with time to get it
right would have started over, but it’s easier for evolution to adapt
an old system to a new purpose than to come up with an entirely new
structure. Our colleague David Linden has compared the evolutionary
history of the brain to the task of building a modern car by adding
parts to a 1925 Model T that never stops running. As a result, brains
differ from computers in many ways, from their highly efficient use of
energy to their tremendous adaptability.

One striking feature of brain tissue is its compactness. In the
brain’s wiring, space is at a premium, and is more tightly packed than
even the most condensed computer architecture. One cubic centimeter of
human brain tissue, which would fill a thimble, contains 50 million
neurons; several hundred miles of axons, the wires over which neurons
send signals; and close to a trillion (that’s a million million)
synapses, the connections between neurons.

The memory capacity in this small volume is potentially immense.
Electrical impulses that arrive at a synapse give the recipient neuron
a small chemical kick that can vary in size. Variation in synaptic
strength is thought to be a means of memory formation. Sam’s lab has
shown that synaptic strength flips between extreme high and low
states, a flip that is reminiscent of a computer storing a “one” or a
“zero” — a single bit of information.

But unlike a computer, connections between neurons can form and break
too, a process that continues throughout life and can store even more
information because of the potential for creating new paths for
activity. Although we’re forced to guess because the neural basis of
memory isn’t understood at this level, let’s say that one movable
synapse could store one byte (8 bits) of memory. That thimble would
then contain 1,000 gigabytes (1 terabyte) of information. A thousand
thimblefuls make up a whole brain, giving us a million gigabytes — a
petabyte — of information. To put this in perspective, the entire
archived contents of the Internet fill just three petabytes.

To address this challenge, Kurzweil invokes Moore’s Law, the principle
that for the last four decades, engineers have managed to double the
capacity of chips (and hard drives) every year or two. If we imagine
that the trend will continue, it’s possible to guess when a single
computer the size of a brain could contain a petabyte. That would be
about 2025 to 2030, just 15 or 20 years from now.

This projection overlooks the dark, hot underbelly of Moore’s law:
power consumption per chip, which has also exploded since 1985. By
2025, the memory of an artificial brain would use nearly a gigawatt of
power, the amount currently consumed by all of Washington, D.C. So
brute-force escalation of current computer technology would give us an
artificial brain that is far too costly to operate.

Compare this with your brain, which uses about 12 watts, an amount
that supports not only memory but all your thought processes. This is
less than the energy consumed by a typical refrigerator light, and
half the typical needs of a laptop computer. Cutting power consumption
by half while increasing computing power many times over is a pretty
challenging design standard. As smart as we are, in this sense we are
all dim bulbs.

A persistent problem in artificial computing is the sensitivity of the
system to component failure. Yet biological synapses are remarkably
flaky devices even in normal, healthy conditions. They release
neurotransmitter only a small fraction of the time when their parent
neuron fires an electrical impulse. This unreliability may arise
because individual synapses are so small that they contain barely
enough machinery to function. This may be a trade-off that stuffs the
most function into the smallest possible space.

In any case, a brain’s success is not measured by its ability to
process information in precisely repeatable ways. Instead, it has
evolved to guide behaviors that allow us to survive and reproduce,
which often requires fast responses to complex situations. As a
result, we constantly make approximations and find “good-enough”
solutions. This leads to mistakes and biases. We think that when two
events occur at the same time, one must have caused the other. We make
inaccurate snap judgments such as racial prejudice. We fail to plan
rationally for the future, as explored in the field of neuroeconomics.

Still, engineers could learn a thing or two from brain strategies. For
example, even the most advanced computers have difficulty telling a
dog from a cat, something that can be done at a glance by a toddler —
or a cat. We use emotions, the brain’s steersman, to assign value to
our experiences and to future possibilities, often allowing us to
evaluate potential outcomes efficiently and rapidly when information
is uncertain. In general, we bring an extraordinary amount of
background information to bear on seemingly simple tasks, allowing us
to make inferences that are difficult for machines.

If engineers can understand how to apply these shortcuts and tricks,
computer performance could begin to emulate some of the more
impressive feats of human brains. However, this route may lead to
computers that share our imperfections. This may not be exactly what
we want from robot overlords, but it could lead to better “soft”
judgments from our computers.

This gets us to the deepest point: why bother building an artificial
brain?

As neuroscientists, we’re excited about the potential of using
computational models to test our understanding of how the brain works.
On the other hand, although it eventually may be possible to design
sophisticated computing devices that imitate what we do, the
capability to make such a device is already here. All you need is a
fertile man and woman with the resources to nurture their child to
adulthood. With luck, by 2030 you’ll have a full-grown, college-
educated, walking petabyte. A drawback is that it may be difficult to
get this computing device to do what you ask.