[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] Re:Not Receiving Digests

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Mon Apr 6 08:45:02 BST 2009

 From the other list

Mike

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robin Knoxjohnston" <rknoxjohnston at clipper-ventures.com>
Date: 6 April 2009 08:30:11 BST
To: <BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BIship] Re:Not Receiving Digests

The Top Dogs film was inaccurate in one respect.  We sailed from
Ushuaia but
had to go east to Puerto Williams which is 20 miles along the Beagle
Channel, to enter inwards for Chilean territory.     The Beagle Channel
become entirely Chilean about 15 nautical miles west of Ushuaia.
Normally
the Chileans do not allow foreign vessels to go through the western
entrance
to the channel, but I contacted their Naval Attache in London and
asked for
dispensation which was granted.

Filming was done from another yacht.      Cape Horn island was
particularly
interesting as we had a relatively calm day and were able to land.
The
radio station is manned by a Chilean Navy Petty officer, who has his
family
with him and the children are educated via the Internet.     They are
re-supplied every two months, so gifts of fresh fruit and meat are
welcome.
You cannot wander too much on the island as there are still minefields
left
from the last confrontation with Argentina.     The only fly in the
ointment
was the appearance of three large cruise liners which circled the
island and
then disappeared east.   Then it was abck to Puerto Williams to clear
Chile
and on to Ushuaia to enter inwards which took 2 hours.

The last in the series, crossing Frobisher Bay in Baffin island this
January, is due to be shown on the 17th April.     As none of us have
been
allowed to see any of these films before they are shown, I cannot tell
you
what it is like.

Knox

<*> Your email settings: