[BITList] Round the Horn

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 4 10:17:24 BST 2009

Last night was the second of the three BBC TV programmes featuring Robin Knox-Johnson, John Simpson and Ranulph Fiennes.  K-J had the other two as crew on a round the Horn trip, and he took the precaution of having an experienced 4th chap along just in case.  That K-J was ever in the BI has not been referred to in anything I've seen of him (one comment on the run up to the series described him as an ex-merchant seaman), but we'll leave that aside.

They started from Ushiaia, went west along the channel, then east to Cape Horn.  Fiennes reckoned his sea sickness was worse than both his heart attack and cancer, he wanted just to die - I remember the feeling well.  The weather after they started east was much worse than forecast, but by some quirk of fate it was flat calm by Cape Horn standards when they got there, so they went ashore and stood on the lighthouse in the sunshine - it was a first for all three, the commentary didn't say about the 4th man.

It's been an excellent series so far - next stop somewhere very cold.