[BITList] what moderator?

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 25 08:53:47 BST 2008

My wife regularly gets e-mails from the secretary of her curling club copied
to, at a guess, 20 or 30 others.  Not only that, before we get scrolled down
to the message it is necessary to wade through much the same for all of up
to 3 or 4 covering e-mails from people up/down the chain, each of them
copied to similar numbers. On one occasion the message at the bottom was a
change to a phone number for a lady we'd never heard of.  These always get
through, but BT-Yahoo (my ISP) will stop an unassuming e-mail on the grounds
it thinks it Spam.  Yesterday, I found such a one in my BT-Yahoo Inbox while
looking into another matter entirely, and it was indeed Spam, but I had not
been informed that it was stopped and still sitting there awaiting the
expiry of its short stay of execution. The other matter I referred to was an
e-mail from BT-Yahoo telling me they had removed an attachment containing a
(named) virus from a message directed to me. I found that message, sans
attachment, sitting alongside the other on the BT-Yahoo page - it had not
been transmitted to me. I get my internet via BT-Yahoo, but I use Outlook
Express for e-mails and, until yesterday, I'd assumed both it and BT-Yahoo
had been set not to interfere with mail or make judgements on it - that task
is carried out efficiently by MailWasher. Clearly I'll have to look into the
settings.