[BITList] Gympie

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Mon Sep 22 10:50:44 BST 2008

Hi Tom,
?????????? looked up Gympie as suggested and found it no trouble. Now I know why you said moving plants up there but stupidly I can no longer find the site that told me how many feet above sea level you were. I now know about Nash and the gold rush and much else about a place I'd never heard of before including how the place got its name and that the Gympie tree allegedly has the same properties as nettles, does that mean the leaves sting and leave a rash? I got you on the satellite map, where exactly are you, east or west of the A1?
? ? ? ? ? ? Funny really, I only ever made landfall in Aussie once and that was Brisbane, we docked opposite the abattoir quite near a bridge. I was third on the Sir Geraint and it was 1969, best run ashore I've ever had and that includes Singapore, Hong Kong etc. We were there just short of a fortnight and we were part of a Royal Navy courtesy call after we'd completed a training exercise called 'Operation Orange' just off Rockhampton with the Gurkha's? playing the part of the baddies. Invites to barbecues and drinks et al were posted daily in the bar and we had parties every night. It must have been excellent because our purser who unbeknown to us had been saving up the companies money and not paying the bills chose there to do a runner never to be seen again. It was only when we returned to Singapore that the true extent of his enterprise came to light though the figures were never discussed within our earshot. If you ever come across a bald fat fella called 'Spike' Jones give him my regards, liked him a lot, he also taught me how to fence with sabre.
??????????? Hasn't the drought that we here about even here in the backwaters of very rural France affected the growing of pineapples etc in your area, I've read in the Sunday Telegraph that wine productions down and rice harvests are expected to fall as well? Anyway enough of my rantings I'm off to cut grass, as I said to Hugh I may be some time!