[BITList] Pretty Much Sums It Up

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 21 09:10:03 BST 2008

Colin,

One must keep in mind that "a chap in Maine" wrote that speech - Bush's speeches are written by a different chap entirely, and he ain't Bush.  Not that I hold that against him - few politicians write their own speeches.  What concerns me is that the Maine-iac creates a fantasy that he expects people to believe.  I can think on a number of people who would happily go home convinced that, not only did Bush make the speech, it all must be true thereby.  If his "speech" was meant to be ironic, I failed to catch the irony.  I was looking for a sting in the tail, but there was none.  The last flickers of spin from a dying regime, I hope.

Regards,