[BITList] Engineers' Lunch

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 18 22:04:55 BST 2008

Thursday night,

I'm not long home from the 2008 BI Retired Engineers' Lunch in Glasgow attended by, I estimate, about 70.  I left at about 8.00 and most were still going strong, lamps swinging all over the place.  A fine meal and some fine conversation with a  variety of people on a wide range of subjects, including BI, and not a moderator in sight.  The first pint, courtesy of Tony Hamnet, was declared by Tony to be tainted by the pipe cleaning fluid, and he got his replaced. It was definitely an acquired taste, but I finished mine. It reminded me nostalgically of Chakdara, when the boiler DM Enamel got through to the FW system, giving the water a similar, slightly metallic, taste that we somehow got used to (had to).  We were offered a free drink, courtesy of the top table - I asked for 2 bottles of whisky, but settled for a half pint of John Smiths.

Now I'm nackered, and off to my kip.

Goodnight all.