[BITList] Fwd: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Mon Sep 1 08:45:04 BST 2008

Another interesting article from Michael Grey

Begin forwarded message:

From: enquiries at lloydslist.com
Date: 1 September 2008 08:39:30 BDT
To: mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Subject: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

The below article was sent to you from Mike Feltham
(mj.feltham at madasafish.com) with the following message: I thought you
might be interested in the article below.

Is the green lobby power mad?
Monday 1 September 2008

THERE is an air of panic about energy policy in the UK at present. It
is clear that there will not be enough electricity to go around once
the power stations currently reaching the ends of their operational
lives have been shut down. The prospects of dependence upon Russian
oil and gas (and what might come with it) are causing alarm.

There is also the dawning realisation that even if the government
pressed ahead with its disgraceful legislation to subvert planning
processes, we do not have sufficient knowhow on nuclear engineering
remaining in the UK, which has shamefully left this industry to
flounder, compared with the reinforced expertise across the Channel.
And if every coal-fired power station requires to be defended 24
hours a day against the violent attention of nose-ringed
environmental activists trying to bung up the chimneys, there are
certain signs of alarm in this direction, too.

Panic begets panic measures, with the sense that environmental
pressures are pushing energy planners inexorably towards so-called
‘sustainable’ energy, notably those deeply unpopular forests of
windfarms which are being hurled up with abandon on sea and land.

The public is being urged to look upon these brutish objects with
approbation, with meaningful references to the Kyoto Protocol and
other mad targets to which the government has committed us. They
provide ‘clean’ electricity. So they must be good.

The fact that despite the free wind they represent the most expensive
(and unreliable) form of electricity generation is rather hidden from
us. Sacrifices must be made to save the planet, and if our soaring
energy bills encourage us to turn down the central heating and wrap
up warm, that is all part of the price we must pay.

On the subject of sacrifices, what about sacrificing the Port of
Bristol on the altar of sustainable energy? Would that be a fair
exchange? Because as part of this desperate government plan to reach
impractical sustainable energy targets, there is a mad plan emerging
which will block up the Bristol Channel with an enormous barrage
stretching from Cardiff to Weston. If one is thinking of a perfect
panic measure in the business of energy procurement, look no further
than the brown, silt-rich waters of the lower Severn, with their
powerful tides.

There is a sort of seasonality about plans for vast schemes for civil
engineering. They reside in dusty archives (some rudely call them the
‘lunatic’s files’) in ministries, and they emerge from time to time,
but only at times of national crisis.

There are always superficially positive attractions about these
enormous schemes. I would ask you now to imagine a fictitious
conversation between the managing director of one of our major
construction companies and a very, very senior government minister,
in the quiet confines of the former’s club.

The industrialist speaks first: “Look here, minister, I’ll put my
cards on the table. We’re both in a mess and I’m the first to admit it.

“You’ve made a complete pig’s ear of the economy, big civil
engineering projects can’t get backing from the banks because they
say they don’t have any money. House and office building have come to
a grinding halt. I’m chucking 2,000 construction workers a week onto
the dole, despite the fact I have three years’ worth of cement and 1m
tonnes of steel rebars secured in the forward markets.

“Take this mad scheme for a barrage between Cardiff and the coast of
Somerset, which I am told will, when fitted with hydro-electric
turbines, generate some 0.7% — or 7.0% — or is it 17% — of the UK’s
electricity. The quantity is unimportant, because it is green
electricity, and that’s the stuff you chaps want.

“You get behind this scheme, we build the barrage. I can get shot of
all this cement and steel and simultaneously employ several thousand
workers, from highly skilled engineers who would otherwise be
emigrating en masse to Dubai, down to mud-shovellers from South Wales
who might just, if they have a bit of work, think twice about voting
Plaid Cymru and ensuring that Wales as well as Scotland is New Labour-
free after the next election.

“That way we all win, we both get to keep our jobs, and who knows, by
the time the thing is built, peerages might have become popular
again, and directorships in my company will certainly be useful for
padding out even the most generous of ministerial pensions.”

The minister, who, like Napoleon’s marshalls after failing to take
Moscow, has become inured to the inevitability of defeat and the
permanence of retreat, is attracted to this bold plan of action,
although he is sufficiently streetwise to consider some of the more
immediate problems.

“It’s an attractive concept,” he confesses, “but we have to think of
the environmental compensation that will be necessary under the EU
Habitats Directive. We’ll have to turn the Somerset Levels into salt
marsh, for a start.

“We’ll have a fight on our hands with the bird lobby, and the surfers
will be rioting in the streets about us buggering up the Severn Bore.
And if this is going to be an Anglo-Welsh project, we’ll need two
languages in every working document and sign, while all the boatmen
will have to be bilingual. Oh — and, by the way, isn’t the Port of
Bristol going to end up on the wrong side of the barrage, after it
has been built?”

Nothing even remotely resembling this conversation, I’m sure, has
possibly taken place, although the plan for the barrage has advanced
from the ‘highly unlikely’ to the ‘constructively being assessed’
category. There has been no debate, no publication of proposals, but
there are already people adding up the number of green gigajoules
which could be attributed to this enormous erection.

Indeed, the Port of Bristol has become sufficiently concerned about
the consequences should this barrage be built to have undertaken its
own detailed studies. And, it transpires, there are virtually no
consequences that are not negative to this port, which is one of the
most efficient in the country and a model for marine operations,
cargo handling, training and labour relations.

The port became even more worried when its assumption that there
would be large ship locks in this vast obstruction was not backed up
by any assurances that these would indeed be built. The port, the
largest bulk cargo port in the South of England, the biggest handler
of motor vehicles in the UK, the second biggest power coal import
facility, and importing 27% of the UK’s imported aviation and 30% of
the UK’s animal feed capacity, would be cut off in its prime.

And even if there was a ship lock included in the barrage, the port’s
studies forecast trouble in store, with “highly damaging”
implications for shipping caused by delays and costs associated with
the lock transits, and the reduction of the water depth inside the
barrier.

It is also worth thinking about the ‘blight’ which such long-term,
undebated and unpublished plans will cause. Bristol has been a port
which has invested heavily in its present prosperity, and this
continuing process includes both regionally and nationally important
projects. These include a £500m ($915m) container terminal and
several large biomass-fuelled power stations which depend heavily
upon the ability to dock big ships. Both schemes, it might be
thought, fulfil important objectives in addressing, respectively,
South of England congestion and energy shortfalls. Does the
government’s left hand know what its right hand is doing?

And while such a barrage might be a notional £15bn lump of red meat
to a hungry civil engineering and construction sector, the marine
aspects of throwing such an obstacle across this complex estuary need
very close consideration.

Bristol Port knows more about the hydrography and the movement of
sediments and sands in the Bristol Channel than anyone else, but
points out that data is still sparse. Nobody, it suggests, has really
sat down and analysed the “post-barrage geomorphological change” —
what on earth will happen to the channel with this huge obstacle set
down across the main tidal flow. For its part, Bristol believes that
the presence of the great barrage will reduce the underkeel clearance
of ships by up to 1.3m on spring tides, which would make the port
economically unsound for the big ships to which it markets itself.

You cannot look at these consequences in isolation. If such cargoes
have to divert, there will be other consequences to traffic flows all
around the country. Who has considered these impacts, bearing in mind
that the business of Bristol is not entirely due to the excellence of
its management, but also because it is close and well-connected to a
large portion of the UK’s population?

One is reminded (albeit on a smaller scale) of the furious
interference with the forces of a river that took place in China with
the Three Gorges dam, seen as essential for power generation,
although the word ‘green’ was not raised in this context. But the
turbines have barely hummed into action and already the huge lakes at
the back of the dams are filling up with silt, scoured out of the
hinterland.

In the upper reaches of the Bristol Channel there will be a major
maintenance dredging operation to be undertaken on a permanent basis.
Somebody had better cost this into the equation.

Bristol itself knows a bit about the abrasive qualities of the Severn
silt, which has caused it all sorts of problems in its own pumping
system.

It suggests that high wear of the barrage’s generating turbines will
be a probable difficulty, causing downtime.

If this is the case, there will be deeply furrowed brows at that
important desk which controls the surges of power all over the UK as
East Enders and Coronation Street end each day.

And at the end of the day, as ministers evaluate the attractive
‘green’ features of hydropower, one hopes that the real price of this
electricity is considered. There is no one, at present , who has a
clue about how much this barrage will ultimately cost.

It has been notionally put at £15bn, but nobody in their right mind
would suggest that it will be completed for this stupendous sum. It
has been suggested that £25bn might be more realistic. And even at
the lower cost, the barrage would be three times more expensive than
nuclear power stations for the same capacity. Interestingly, offshore
wind is the next most expensive.

The fact is, we just don’t know enough, and the chances are that
those who are making decisions in what were once smoke filled rooms,
don’t know enough either, but will be surely driven on by Kyoto and
Copenhagen and wrong-headed environmental zeal along with the need to
rack up brownie points with other ‘activists’ drivelling on about
climate change.

Twenty years on, and we have killed off the Port of Bristol. The
Bristol Channel is bunged up with abrasive silt which wears away the
barrage’s turbine blades every six months. Windfarms ring the land,
but still don’t deliver. The lights are going out.

There are a couple of nuclear stations, thank God, just coming on
stream, care of the French. Meanwhile the real answer, in the first
underwater power station, which employs the vast and predictable
tides which surge around this island, is finally commissioned. Dream on.

Sign up to the FREE Lloyd's List Daily News Bulletin at http://
www.lloydslist.com/bulletin

Articles remain the copyright of Informa UK Limited

Please note that incorrectly addressed emails are returned to a
Lloyd's List bulletin board and that copies may be taken for
administrative purposes