[BITList] assets

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 21 09:58:43 BST 2008

Colin,

Re the hoi polloi, etc, at election times we get a vote for an MP (Westminster), an MEP (Europe), and up here we also elect an MSP (Edinburgh). And that's our lot.  Only the first of these have to do with electing/appointing a UK Prime Minister, and only the MPs in the ruling party have that privilege (barring, I suppose, a national emergency) - neither we proles, nor the MPs of the other parties, get consulted in that process.  Same comments for the election/appointment of the Scottish First Minister by MSPs - again, we don't get asked.  Indeed, were it not for the media, both of these elections/appointments might go through unnoticed.  I'll be surprised if the US presidential election has anything in common with the above.