[BITList] Berrechone

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 13:36:54 BST 2008

Salaams,
????????????? just a quickie. I forgot one of the most important things one must adapt to here and that is that I live in the old area known as the Berry an old Dukedom and its its populated by the Berrichonoise, they have and use their own language though most of the time its a mixture of real French & Berrichone, it can and does prove most confusing especially when its used by a gent who uses half of one of our barns to store his wood, for this I get 12 cubic meteres of wood a year. He growl's rather than speaks and I can't follow him quite a lot of the time. As an instance rain which is pluie in French is Flotte in Berri and aplootar for later is a tont tot in Berri, the first time the latter was used by my gent I was expecting Tonto of Lone Ranger fame to come charging over the hill, it can be very confusing a lot of the time. There are other areas of France that use their own language much to the governments annoyance. As a point of interest I studied no French or any other language at school and had trouble with English as no doubt many of you have correctly assumed anyway.