[BITList] Chakdara engine rebuild

Tom Gardiner tm.gardiner at skymesh.net.au
Sat Oct 4 08:19:39 BST 2008

Colin  and  Fred ,

On 1956 one of the C's had a lub oil pressure failure and the bottom
ends were run .

This event occurred between Bombay and Karachi .
The oil pressure alarm was switched off and it is reported that the
second was absent from the ER .
I won't name the second  and he did not get the sack .

I was on Dwarka at the time and we were instructed by Bombay management
to tow the ship .
How b stupid . we stood by to prevent some salvage hungry ships from
shooting a line across .
They were around like flies on a midden .

Finally another C arrived and with a marvellous act of seamanship fired
over a line,   motored ahead and anchored
Sent   a heavier line and within hours started the tow back to Bombay .
I think that was Chantala  who towed .

I am uncertain of  the name of the ship  out of action  and by
exceptiing other ships  Chardara is most likely .
and I am sure it  was 1956  because I ended my  spell that year   and in
1966 I was in Canada

The above does not mean Chackdara did not have a  rebuild in 1966 but it
certainly had a lot of bottom end engine work in 1956

Tom in Gympie