[BITList] De gaussing and Purnea

Tom Gardiner tm.gardiner at skymesh.net.au
Sat Oct 4 04:02:57 BST 2008

This is a resend as I received a bounce  message from the site .

Fred . Colin , Hugh and all ,

My how fast these digests flow into my inbox .

Purnea was my first ship as second  ( 1954 ) and I feel I knew every
cable and pipe on her .
Bless me  ( substitute words to suit personal vocabulary ) that was 54
years ago .
I do recall some obsolete  wiring  ( small diameter stuff  but no idle
breakers or switchboards .
Nor do I  have  any recollection of any circuit or cables to do with De
gaussing .

I am familiar with that as the navy frigates and destroyers built by
Thornycrofts had such stuff installed .
All highly secret but a  nosy apprentice could notice things .
The test  area for the ships was in Southampton water in front of the
house of  the parents of my future wife .
Locals were continually asking  " why do those ships keep moving back
and forth in that area ?"
The more knowledgeable replied it is to do with Sonar   (  experts are
everywhere ) <grin>

There were no drawings on board Purnea relating to the electrical system
.Or Piping for that matter .
All was follow and find .

On a previous topic
My smugness concerning mowing has received a blow. The end of winter has
given the weeds a boost and I shall have to start the ride on mower .
However shorts  can be worn again and sweaters are back in storage .

Salaams

Tom in Gympie