[BITList] Degaussing

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 3 17:35:02 BST 2008

I note the start of a discussion about degaussing on another BI site, what was the BI experience of such, etc.  This has stirred up hazy memories of cables running along a shipside, but memories so long buried that I can't say more than that.  However, I did have experience of what might be described as an avoidance of degaussing. In Scotts (Greenock), 1970s, I was quite heavily involved in the design of RMAS Newton, an innovative MOD underwater research vessel - she wasn't a sub, it was the research that was underwater. Mostly ER cables were led along routes worked out by an engineer draughtsman as a compromise between the requirements of the electrical dept and available space, and to some extent that applied on the Newton - no account taken of the actual cables, just trays of a suitable size running here and there.  Where it departed from the norm was when high voltage AC cables ran along the shipside to and from various cabinets.  The configuration of the phases in each multi-cable run at the shipside was dictated by the electrical DO on MOD guidance, such that nothing was transmitted outside of the vessel.  This took precedence over convenience, and we used the 1:5 machinery spaces model with coloured flex to work out how to achieve it and still leave and arrive at terminations with the phases a feasible way round - it was heavy cable. An unusual but interesting wee job.