[BITList] A General Rant

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 11:58:47 BST 2008

Oki Doki,
????????????? I've just got back from paying my Tax Fonciere (Land Tax in France) the house tax is referred to as Tax d'Habitation and is payable in another couple of months, lessens the agony somewhat but the bastards stick on the TV license fee as well so get out of that bold move if you can, there are reductions of course for those who have sod all money and of course the dead but they are the only exceptions. As I live on a farm with 22 acres of land I feel I do quite well compared to my sons fourth floor flat in Chateauroux, he pays more and there are four of them on the same plot of land, if I thought the French had a sense of humour I would write to the Tresor Public demanding an explanation, knowing full well this would bring about a visit from some state employed arsehole is the only reason that I desist, plus he would spot my twenty two acres of opium poppies I planted recently!
? ? ? ? ? ? ? There are two more money raising wheezes recently dreamt up here that a worth a mention. First of all bank interest rates or lack of them. For those poor sods who thought their savings were generating guaranteed amounts think again, its been capped at a level the government deems appropriate, the banks then have to pay the remainder direct to the government, after tax of course, there's Gordon Brown thinking he had cornered the market on 'Sly & Subtle'. The French Post Office in its wisdom have decided that all parcels that have destinations outside of France must now travel 'Prioritaire' at four times the cost of 'Ordinaire', it still takes as long as ordinaire to get there but what the hell, I have just spent twice as much money sending a book to my wifes uncle than it cost me to purchase. Other employment and money making schemes include a new tax on fish that will pay for the French fishing fleet to contiue its plundering of British fishing grounds, it will no doubt pay the fuel bill for the French Navy and much else as well. Villages throughout France will now have to have main sewer systems and plants, that is of course unless one has a system thats compliant with the new regulations only dreamt up recently, it is of course impossible to have the correct system as the authorities have added on bits that didn't exist before. Oh well back to the grindstone of life!