[BITList] Explaining the subprime issue

HUGH MCINTYRE chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 1 16:15:28 BST 2008

Colin,

Bird and Fortune are masters of that kind of send up.  Much of the time I get the impression they extemporise it. From this morning's papers here, I read that the proposed merger of the Bank of Scotland and another was threatened by speculators betting that the merger would not take place, thus bringing down share prices and hastening that very thing by lowering the bank value below the offer. I'd shoot them - China has the right idea.