[BITList] another from my collection

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 29 23:52:50 GMT 2008

Colin,

I've still to trace the BI coathanger I mentioned earlier, it's not the kind of thing I usually imagine.  I nearly had other souvenirs. When I joined Dilwara as 3rd I inherited what looked to me like a full collection of BI drinking glassware with one or two of each kind - my predecessor had omitted to take them with him, or maybe they were the ones he didn't want.  The glass fronted cupboard was full of them until one fateful night when I was sleeping on my day bed in an attempt to get some sleep in pretty rough weather.  On the daybed I found it helpful to dig my heels in between the back and the base, and the back itself gave support.  After the initial couple of days of sea sickness were over, I used to find the continual strain on the muscles just as much of a burden.  Anyway, she gave a mighty lurch at one point and the cupboard doors flew open - the entire contents of the cupboard descended on me and I was surrounded by broken glass with not a cut.  All I have now is the BI mug made by Parrys of Madras, but I bought that.  And there's the two crystal glasses we got at the 150th in Glasgow (I got one and Janet got one).