[BITList] [From: Mike Feltham] Scotland's new forest

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 17 08:30:39 GMT 2008

Mike,

I must be getting dim - it took me a while to get the slide show working.
For that and other reasons I should get out more.  I recall seeing a TV show
about the forest, and it may take a few lifetimes for the whole to
regenerate to the original high tree line.  Where I am, on the south bank of
the lower Clyde, used to be famous for its orchards - the 1857 map shows
extensive swathes of fruit trees where my childhood homes used to stand.
Few nowadays have a clue about that, and assume the place was always a built
up wasteland of ex-shipyards become housing estates with added Tesco. But
small areas where the demolishers planted saplings decoratively a few years
ago are now dense woods that will have to be cut back - the natural order
would take over in 10 years if we moved out.  More power to it.