[BITList] More om Honey - This week's tool box talk - home safety ?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 13 10:06:43 GMT 2008

John,

We can have a dozen bees round our ears, but their sole interest lies in the cotoneaster on the wall adjacent to our garden seats.  We don't look like flowers, so they ignore us, and we them.  We had a wasp nest in the hedge by our back gate three years ago, but we ignored it also, and a couple of years later they went away to find a better spot.  This morning I got an emergency call from the shower, where my wife had been threatened by a common house spider in the bath (our shower discharges into the bath) - the silly things abseil down and can't get up again.  A length of toilet paper and some persuasion, and up it went to a safer environment among the toiletries on a shelf. "Why did you put it there?" was all the thanks I got.  No self-respecting bee would be seen dead near our barbecue.  It hasn't been lit in anger (sometimes I burn papers in it) for 4 years, and is mostly full of strangely coloured rainwater.  Apart from midges, I leave insects alone.