[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] King Harry lay-up berths

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Tue Nov 4 18:30:18 GMT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dave Tuthill" <davidtuthill at tinyworld.co.uk>
Date: 4 November 2008 00:08:43 GMT
To: "BI Ships" <BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BIship] King Harry lay-up berths

On our local South West T.V.news tonight there was a report that the
Carrick
harbour master Captain Andy Brigden has been receiving inquiries
regarding
lay-up berths in the River Fal.
This is surely an indication of the economic slow down, the inquiries
relate
to gas carriers,bulk carriers and a timber ship.
During the report they showed film reports from the mid eighties when
Uganda
was layed-up and she looked very sad and uncared for, Uganda was my last
ship with BI before I left in 1963.There was another ship in the
report that
looked suspiciously like Nevasa but I did not think she was there at the
same time as Uganda, perhaps there was some editing of film joining
different periods in time?
A mussel farm now occupies the former lay-up berths below King Harry
ferry
but Carrick still retains berths above King Harry and off Tolverne. It
is
estimated that 12/13 medium sized merchant ships can be taken.
The local economy would of course benefit as indeed it did in the late
90's
when they received some £85,000.00.
Dave

<*> Your email settings: