[BITList] One for the ginger beers?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 29 23:17:43 GMT 2008

This impressive engine is described as a gas engine compressing natural gas, so I assume it runs on the same natural gas. At this time of night my brain is not up to the thermodynamics involved, so I can't comment on whether it does useful work despite its long life.  Adjacent to that video in Youtube are others of various engines, mostly small by BI engineer standards, so not exciting to watch.  The big ones - there's a B&W and others - are all 2-strokes filmed from above, so one has to imagine something is happening apart from noise.  A "crash astern stop" on a Chinese built vessel on trials was pretty noisy, but the only things that were moving were sundry people and two cardboard containers that were blown off the turbocharger air inlet when it surged.  We saw the latter event in a number of action replays.  Two-strokes are possibly the least exciting marine engines to see running.