[BITList] Fwd: Largest Snowman

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 03:59:22 GMT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steve Hurkett" <shurk at cox.net>
Date: 24 December 2008 10:32:44 AM
To: "Steve Hurkett" <shurk at cox.net>
Subject: FW: Largest Snowman

Subject: Largest Snowman

Tallest Snowwoman Made In Maine

World's Tallest Snowman Made In Maine
By David Sharp, Associated Press
BETHEL, Maine (AP) â€" The world's tallest snowman is no man.<
The "snowwoman" towering over this village features eyelashes created
from discarded skis and bright red lips made from painted car tires.
She wears a giant red hat and a 100-foot-long scarf, and her blond
tresses are made from rope. She gets a little bling from a snowflake
pendant that's 6 feet long.
"She's a beauty. Gotta love those eyelashes," said Robin Zinchuk,
executive director of the local chamber of commerce and a chief
instigator of the town's offbeat project. With the temperature in
single digits, several hundred people including busloads of
schoolchildren turned out for Friday's dedication of the 122-foot-tall
mountain of snow. This ski town of about 2,400 residents already holds
the record for tallest snowman, dedicated in 1999. Since then, they
have been waiting for someone else to break the record. When no one
rose to the challenge, the folks here decided they'd have to break the
record themselves. Mark Bancroft, who donated the 150-foot crane used
during the project, noted that it has been a tough winter with high
fuel costs and nasty weather. "What does Bethel , Maine , do when it
gets tough? We build a snowman!" he said to the muffled applause of
mittens and gloves clapping together. " Olympia ," named for Maine 's
senior senator, Olympia Snowe, stands nearly 10 feet taller than
"Angus, King of the Mountain," who was dedicated by the town in 1999.
That snowman, named for then-Gov. Angus King, was created by the same
folks responsible for Olympia . Last year's Angus King. Although the
snowwoman's namesake was unable to attend Friday's dedication because
of her duties in Washington , a statement was read to the crowd. "I've
joked that it's just my luck I'd have a world record-breaking monument
named after me -- and it will be gone by summer," the senator said. It
took more than a month, dozens of volunteers and tons of snow to
create Olympia . Jim Sysko, a civil engineer, oversaw design and
construction. To get an idea of scale, Olympia is about 30 feet
shorter than the Statue of Liberty (without the base). Her arms
consist of 27-foot-tall evergreens. Her "carrot" nose, painted by
schoolchildren, is 8 feet long. Her eyes are made from giant wreaths.
She was built with a series of concentric circles. The crane dumped
the snow into frames, and volunteers climbed in for long hours
shoveling and packing the snow. "The best part of it is how everyone
in town pitched in and made it happen," said volunteer David Lynch.
"It got hairy up at the top. I only made it to 80 feet." The final
product is the talk of the town. People especially liked the lashes
created from old skis donated from the Sunday River ski resort. <<http://www.wmtw.com/news/15448159/detail.html
 >  http://www.wmtw.com/news/15448159/detail.html > <http://www.wmtw.com/news/15448159/detail.html
 >   "It's the whimsy of it all. That's what makes it so great," said
Iris Roberts, of Jefferson City , Mo. , who watched with her husband
on Friday. Angus was certified as the world's tallest snowman by the
Guinness Book of Records. It remains to be seen if Olympia will get
the nod as tallest snowman, or snowwoman. There's currently no
separate category for snowwoman, so residents are petitioning for one.
There was plenty of snow for the project. Parts of Maine have had more
than 100 inches of snow this season, unlike 1999 when Angus was built.
Volunteers started with manmade snow and then used snow piled on the
runway of the municipal airport to finish the job. "People love it.
With all this snow, we did something good with it," said Darlene
Ginsberg, who directed traffic with one hand while holding a cup of
hot coffee in the other. After the ceremony, local resident Julia
Reuter stepped to the microphone and led the crowd in an impromptu
singalong to the classic song, "Winter Wonderland." In fact, more
winter weather was on tap for Friday night. Alex Kaufman from Sunday
River credited Olympia for bringing the snowiest winter in 12 years.
Then he took a jab at Angus. "Angus didn't bring squat for snow," he
quipped. "In this case, it took a woman to get it done." To read more,
visit www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/ <http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/
Olympia , clickhere < <http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/
webcam.html>  http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/webcam.html > <http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/webcam.html
 >  .      Olympia's eyelashes are made from skis and her bright red
lips  are painted tires.   Olympia stands nearly 10 feet taller than
"Angus, King of the Mountain," who was dedicated by the town in 1999.
   Olympia stands nearly 10  feet taller than "Angus, King of the
Mountain," who was dedicated by the  town in 1999.   Her "carrot"
nose, painted by schoolchildren, is 8 feet long.

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and
Yahoo Mail. Try it now <http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025