[BITList] French trying to wrest GMT away from the Brits?

EDWARD TREACHER etreacher at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 18 11:43:33 GMT 2008

Hi Hugh
Yes the railways pushed for standard time in UK which was of course based on the Greenwich Meridian and was in use from 1830, most charts in use then were based on the UK system, but of course the French and others wanted a different prime meridian.
Worldwide time zones were not adopted until after the The Meridian Conference 1884, politics were overcome by having the the day start in the Pacific basis a 24 hr clock not AM and PM, but the Prime Merdian was kept in Greenwich. It all sounds pretty stupid really as it all just seems common sense today, but it was apparently a huge step forward at the time.
Reading this latest proposal it seems to be a step backward, noon should always be around noon. I must admit as 2nd mate I always try to arrange ship's time so noon was about 1215, that way I didn't have to go on watch early to take my noon sight.

Rgds
Ted