[BITList] Fallin asleep

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 11:16:41 GMT 2008

Salaams,
???????????? like, Hugh I too confess to falling asleep when on watch, mine through various reasons and on more than one occasion, mind you I did do twenty two years before the mast, can I use that as an excuse? I can honestly say as a fiver never, well perhaps in port I snatched a few minutes here and there but at sea no way, there was already an engineer fast asleep in the shape of the senior watchkeeper, some slept more than others, some might have well stayed tucked up in bed! As a senior watchkeeper in BI apart from the Purnea we were doubled up but I did strive to keep my eyes open, as an example if nothing else. On the ferries it was a different story, too much partying was partly to blame and lack of disipline the other but oh, happy days! Manning always played a significant part also on the ferries, as to numbers of engineers, bare bones and in the event of breakdown total bloody disaster, I remember on one occasion when we had to change a liner it was forty two hours straight and then as luck would have it might watch started just as we wound the engine up, don't know how I still stood up. BUT the good times did outweigh the bad, that is until P&bloodyO turned up again in my life!
PS Now living on fresh air, tank almost empty!