[BITList] Fwd: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] The mainstay of Calcutta's Christmas

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 04:33:10 GMT 2008

Begin forwarded message:

And another one from

http://www.geocities.com/deefholt/christmasincalcutta.html

A TASTE FOR CHRISTMAS
By Jug Suraiya

(This article appeared in the Times of India on December 25, 1987.
Although it is old, I decided to include this in our Christmas
newsletter
as it will revive fond memories for many of our readers who still
recall what Calcutta was like over the festive season.)

***  The mainstay of Calcutta's Christmas is the Anglo Indian household,
to which an invitation must be inveigled if one wants the true savour
of the season. Come the first week of December and shopping forays
are launched from the back alleys of Wellesley and Eliot Road, Park
Lane and Ripon street to buy the ingredients for a festal reunion when
aunts and cousins and friends and in-laws will descend from up-country
railway colonies-or the more distant environs of Australian or Canadian
suburbia-in an annual rite of passage.*** [snip]

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.