[BITList] Sufferers of "Foot in Mouth" Disease

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 10 08:55:05 GMT 2008

John,

All the way up from "I don't think it will rain today", people have failed to tell the future, but mostly it's done on the basis of available facts and the absence of a reliable crystal ball.  People who write articles about this phenomenon do so with 20-20 hindsight, so they have sitting targets.  To a great extent, society's "need" for many things has been created by careful persuasion and advertising.  When Gates made his statement about computer memory size it was perfectly valid - I remember being perfectly happy in the 70s with 8k memory - I thought it wonderful.  Life in many ways was more satisfying than it is today when we are drowning in "necessary" artefacts that get smaller and smaller, and getting more and more blase with it.  I say this in full knowledge of the technology that enables me to say it.