[BITList] (no subject)

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 9 16:02:26 GMT 2008

1. Teaching Maths In 1970:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for £100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for £100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price, or £80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for £100. His cost of production is
£80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for £100. His cost of production is
£80 and his profit is £20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2008:

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of £20.
What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels
feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers. )

6. Teaching Maths 2018:

(Written in arabic...couldn't translate for the forum!)

And NUTs want to be paid more for this.

Madonna has always said how she loves British culture and wants to be
more British.
Well, now she's a single Mum with 3 kids and one of them is black.

Job done!

A man in Scotland calls his son in London the day before Christmas Eve
and says, I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that
your mother and I are divorcing; forty five years of misery is enough.
'Dad, what are you talking about?' the son screams.
'We can't stand the sight of each other any longer,'  says the father,
we're sick of each other and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call
your sister in Leeds and tell her.'
Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. 'Like
hell they're getting divorced,' she shouts, 'I'll take care of this,'
She calls Scotland immediately, and screams at her father, 'You are NOT
getting divorced, don't do a single thing until I get there, I'm
calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow,until then,
don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?' and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. 'Okay,' he says,
'they're coming for Christmas - and they're paying their own way.'

_THE YEAR 1908 _

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
The year is 1908.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1908 :

/************ ********* ********* ****** /

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles

Of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the _Eiffel__ Tower__ _!

The average wage in 1908 was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per
year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at /HOME /

Ninety percent of all doctors had /_NO COLLEGE EDUCATION! _/

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which

Were condemned in the press _AND _the government as 'substandard. '

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used

Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

_Canada__ _passed a law that prohibited poor people from

Entering into their country for any reason.

_Five leading causes of death were: _

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of _Las Vegas__ , Nevada__ _, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea

Hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day .

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at
the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, /'Heroin clears
the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and
bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.' /( Shocking?)

Eighteen percent of households had at least

One full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the /_ENTIRE ! U.S.A. ! _/

/Now I forwarded this from someone else without typing I t myself, and
sent it to you and others all over _Canada__ & U.S.A. ..possibly the
world, in a matter of seconds! _/

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.