[BITList] More on the Staff at The Taj.

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 06:02:05 GMT 2008

Heroes At The Taj

Michael Pollack 12.01.08, 7:40 PM ET
My story begins innocuously, with a dinner reservation in a world-
class hotel. It ends 12 hours later after the Indian army freed us.
My point is not to sensationalize events. It is to express my
gratitude and pay tribute to the staff of the Taj Mahal Hotel in
Mumbai, who sacrificed their lives so that we could survive. They,
along with the Indian army, are the true heroes that emerged from this
tragedy.
My wife, Anjali, and I were married in the Taj's Crystal Ballroom. Her
parents were married there, too, and so were Shiv and Reshma, the
couple with whom we had dinner plans. In fact, my wife and Reshma,
both Bombay girls, grew up hanging out and partying the night away
there and at the Oberoi Hotel, another terrorist target.
The four of us arrived at the Taj around 9:30 p.m. for dinner at the
Golden Dragon, one of the better Chinese restaurants in Mumbai. We
were a little early, and our table wasn't ready. So we walked next
door to the Harbor Bar and had barely begun to enjoy our beers when
the host told us our table was ready. We decided to stay and finish
our drinks.
Thirty seconds later, we heard what sounded like a heavy tray smashing
to the ground. This was followed by 20 or 30 similar sounds and then
absolute silence. We crouched behind a table just feet away from what
we now knew were gunmen. Terrorists had stormed the lobby and were
firing indiscriminately.
We tried to break the glass window in front of us with a chair, but it
wouldn't budge. The Harbour Bar's hostess, who had remained at her
post, motioned to us that it was safe to make a run for the stairwell.
She mentioned, in passing, that there was a dead body right outside in
the corridor. We believe this courageous woman was murdered after we
ran away.
(We later learned that minutes after we climbed the stairs, terrorists
came into the Harbour Bar, shot everyone who was there and executed
those next door at the Golden Dragon. The staff there was equally
brave, locking their patrons into a basement wine cellar to protect
them. But the terrorists managed to break through and lob in grenades
that killed everyone in the basement.)
We took refuge in the small office of the kitchen of another
restaurant, Wasabi, on the second floor. Its chef and staff served the
four of us food and drink and even apologized for the inconvenience we
were suffering.
Through text messaging, e-mail on BlackBerrys and a small TV in the
office, we realized the full extent of the terrorist attack on Mumbai.
We figured we were in a secure place for the moment. There was also no
way out.
At around 11:30 p.m., the kitchen went silent. We took a massive
wooden table and pushed it up against the door, turned off all the
lights and hid. All of the kitchen workers remained outside; not one
staff member had run.
The terrorists repeatedly slammed against our door. We heard them ask
the chef in Hindi if anyone was inside the office. He responded
calmly: "No one is in there. It's empty." That is the second time the
Taj staff saved our lives.
After about 20 minutes, other staff members escorted us down a
corridor to an area called The Chambers, a members-only area of the
hotel. There were about 250 people in six rooms. Inside, the staff was
serving sandwiches and alcohol. People were nervous, but cautiously
optimistic.
We were told The Chambers was the safest place we could be because the
army was now guarding its two entrances and the streets were still
dangerous. There had been attacks at a major railway station and a
hospital.
But then, a Member of Parliament phoned into a live newscast and let
the world know that hundreds of people--including CEOs, foreigners and
Members of Parliament--were "secure and safe in The Chambers
together." Adding to the escalating tension and chaos was the fact
that, via text and cellphone, we knew that the dome of the Taj was on
fire  and that it could move downward.
At around 2 a.m., the staff attempted an evacuation. We all lined up
to head down a dark fire escape exit. But after five minutes, grenade
blasts and automatic weapon fire pierced the air. A mad stampede
ensued to get out of the stairwell and take cover back inside The
Chambers.
After that near-miss, my wife and I decided we should hide in
different rooms. While we hoped to be together at the end, our primary
obligation was to our children. We wanted to keep one parent alive.
Because I am American and my wife is Indian, and news reports said the
terrorists were targeting U.S. and U.K. nationals, I believed I would
further endanger her life if we were together in a hostage situation.
So when we ran back to The Chambers I hid in a toilet stall with a
floor-to-ceiling door and my wife stayed with our friends, who fled to
a large room across the hall.
For the next seven hours, I lay in the fetal position, keeping in
touch with Anjali via BlackBerry. I was joined in the stall by Joe, a
Nigerian national with a U.S. green card. I managed to get in touch
with the FBI, and several agents gave me status updates throughout the
night.
I cannot even begin to explain the level of adrenaline running through
my system at this point. It was this hyper-aware state where every
sound, every smell, every piece of information was ultra-acute,
analyzed and processed so that we could make the best decisions and
maximize the odds of survival.
Was the fire above us life-threatening? What floor was it on? Were the
commandos near us, or were they terrorists? Why is it so quiet? Did
the commandos survive? If the terrorists come into the bathroom and to
the door, when they fire in, how can I make my body as small as
possible? If Joe gets killed before me in this situation, how can I
throw his body on mine to barricade the door? If the Indian commandos
liberate the rest in the other room, how will they know where I am? Do
the terrorists have suicide vests? Will the roof stand? How can I make
sure the FBI knows where Anjali and I are? When is it safe to stand up
and attempt to urinate?
Meanwhile, Anjali and the others were across the corridor in a mass of
people lying on the floor and clinging to each other. People barely
moved for seven hours, and for the last three hours they felt it was
too unsafe to even text. While I was tucked behind a couple walls of
marble and granite in my toilet stall, she was feet from bullets
flying back and forth. After our failed evacuation, most of the people
in the fire escape stairwell and many staff members who attempted to
protect the guests were shot and killed.
The 10 minutes around 2:30 a.m. were the most frightening. Rather than
the back-and-forth of gunfire, we just heard single, punctuated shots.
We later learned that the terrorists went along a different corridor
of The Chambers, room by room, and systematically executed everyone:
women, elderly, Muslims, Hindus, foreigners. A group huddled next to
Anjali was devout Bori Muslims who would have been slaughtered just
like everyone else, had the terrorists gone into their room. Everyone
was in deep prayer and most, Anjali included, had accepted that their
lives were likely over. It was terrorism in its purest form. No one
was spared.
The next five hours were filled with the sounds of an intense grenade/
gun battle between the Indian commandos and the terrorists. It was
fought in darkness; each side was trying to outflank the other.
By the time dawn broke, the commandos had successfully secured our
corridor. A young commando led out the people packed into Anjali's room.
When one woman asked whether it was safe to leave, the commando
replied: "Don't worry, you have nothing to fear. The first bullets
have to go through me."
The corridor was laced with broken glass and bullet casings. Every
table was turned over or destroyed. The ceilings and walls were
littered with hundreds of bullet holes. Blood stains were everywhere,
though, fortunately, there were no dead bodies to be seen.
A few minutes after Anjali had vacated, Joe and I peeked out of our
stall. We saw multiple commandos and smiled widely. I had lost my
right shoe while sprinting to the toilet so I grabbed a sheet from the
floor, wrapped it around my foot and proceeded to walk over the debris
to the hotel lobby.
Anjali and I embraced for the first time in seven hours in the Taj's
ground floor entrance. I didn't know whether she was dead or injured
because we hadn't been able to text for the past three hours.
I wanted to take a picture of us on my BlackBerry, but Anjali wanted
us to get out of there before doing anything.
She was right--our ordeal wasn't completely over. A large bus pulled
up in front of the Taj to collect us and, just about as it was fully
loaded, gunfire erupted again. The terrorists were still alive and
firing automatic weapons at the bus. Anjali was the last to get on the
bus, and she eventually escaped in our friend's car. I ducked under
some concrete barriers for cover and wound up the subject of photos
that were later splashed across the media. Shortly thereafter, an
ambulance came and drove a few of us to safety. An hour later, Anjali
and I were again reunited at her parents' home. Our Thanksgiving had
just gained a lot more meaning.
Some may say our survival was due to random luck, others might credit
divine intervention. But 72 hours removed from these events, I can
assure you only one thing: Far fewer people would have survived if it
weren't for the extreme selflessness shown by the Taj staff, who
organized us, catered to us and then, in the end, literally died for us.
They complemented the extreme bravery and courage of the Indian
commandos, who, in a pitch-black setting and unfamiliar, tightly
packed terrain, valiantly held the terrorists at bay.
It is also amazing that, out of our entire group, not one person
screamed or panicked. There was an eerie but quiet calm that pervaded--
one more thing that got us all out alive. Even people in adjacent
rooms, who were being executed, kept silent.
It is much easier to destroy than to build, yet somehow humanity has
managed to build far more than it has ever destroyed. Likewise, in a
period of crisis, it is much easier to find faults and failings rather
than to celebrate the good deeds. It is now time to commemorate our
heroes.