[BITList] View of Bombay, c. 1750

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 3 08:54:52 GMT 2008

John,

Not much to be seen of Bombay in the picture. Re the artist's dedication, weren't they a grovelling bunch in those days !  That aside, far too much to digest at this point. I'll return to it once we decorate the Christmas tree. It's one to keep.

Of course, the East India Company was the English East India Company until the 1700s, though many in England with money viewed the Hon Company with suspicion, and both supported and pushed for the creation of a rival Scottish East India Company, and ambition that never succeeded.  A Company of Scotland was, indeed, formed in the 1690s with more than adequate capital and support, but it was persuaded to concentrate on what became the Darien Scheme, and the rest, like all of this, is history.  It was all wheels within wheels, and not British in any sense till the time of Charles II.  When James the VI and I moved south he left his kilt behind and succumbed to the easy life.  The balance shifted.